Cal Poly

Orfalea College of Business







Please call 805-756-2667 for more information in English or Spanish, or email your questions to No appointment is necessary. 

The Cal Poly Orfalea College of Business has been preparing tax returns through the Volunteer Tax Assistance (VITA) program since 1992. The program is sponsored by the California Franchise Tax Board, the Internal Revenue Service, and the Cal Poly Accounting Area. All tax returns are prepared by Cal Poly accounting students who have gone through extensive training and have passed the IRS and FTB volunteer exams. The returns are then reviewed by Cal Poly faculty and local certified tax professionals.

Clinics will be held at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, at Lucia Mar Adult Education School in Oceano and at Allan Hancock College in Santa Maria. See location information below for address and hours of operations.

The Cal Poly clinic offers free tax preparation help on Saturdays, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., February 2, 2019 through March 16, 2019. The clinic will be held on the third floor of the Business Building (No. 3) on Cal Poly’s campus near California Blvd (next to the football stadium). No appointments are needed; people will be served on a first-come basis. Community members should arrive at Cal Poly before 1 p.m. to allow sufficient time to complete returns accurately.

Students will also staff additional VITA clinics at two other Central Coast locations in partnership with the United Way of San Luis Obispo and Northern Santa Barbara Counties. These include:

  • Lucia Mar Adult Education School
    1551 17th Street, Oceano, CA 93445
    10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays, Feb. 9 through March 16.
    By appointment only; call  805-541-1234
  • Allan Hancock College Community Education Center (Building S)
    800 S. College Drive, Santa Maria
    10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays, Feb. 2 through March 30 (closed Feb. 16 and March 23)
    By appointment only; call 805-922-0329, ext. 103

Should questions arise, we recommend that all tax inquiries be directed first to the IRS and then a local enrolled agent or CPA. We do not retain copies of your tax returns, therefore please be sure to keep copies for your records.

Visit our Facebook page at

Recent News

More news


Our Stories

Cal Poly Business Magazine

See More


sample image snippet

Support Learn by Doing