Mission: Through one-on-one peer support, we provide guidance, motivation, and accountability to Orfalea College of Business students for their social, personal, and academic aspirations at Cal Poly.
Overview: ASPIRE, Orfalea’s Peer Mentoring Program, is a free and voluntary peer-driven mentoring service provided exclusively to Orfalea College of Business students.
As a Mentee in this program, you will be matched with an upperclassman Business Administration, Economics, or Industrial Technology & Packaging Peer Mentor who will:
- Guide you in setting and achieving your goals
- Coach you on building new skills and techniques to achieve academic success
- Help you define your motivations and adopt a goal-oriented, growth mindset
- Provide you with support and guidance throughout the academic year
As a Mentee, you’re expected to:
- Meet in person or virtually with your Peer Mentor once a week for a one-hour collaborative mentoring session
- Weekly mentoring sessions are determined by you and your Peer Mentor and can be held on any on-campus location or via a Zoom link
- You will agree on a date, time, and location that will be applied weekly throughout each academic term
- Establish your goals for the quarter, check in on progress towards your goals, and discuss opportunities and behaviors to develop that will help you reach your goals
- Mentee applications are accepted on a rolling basis, meaning students are able to join the program at any point throughout the academic year (Fall, Winter, or Spring Quarters)
- It is recommended Peer Mentors and Mentees work together for 2-3 quarters
- Mentees are matched with a Peer Mentor based on similar criteria (i.e.: major, passions/interests)
- Mentees are notified of their matched Peer Mentor via from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow 48 hours after your application was submitted to receive an email about your matched Peer Mentor and next steps with the program.
Benefits of being a Mentee:
- Receive support and guidance in creating a personalized, goal-oriented plan for success in university life
- Develop strategies for academic success, including: goal setting, learning techniques and study skills, time management practices, exploring campus resources, identifying and utilizing strengths
- Information about curriculum, concentration options, social and academic involvement, and leadership and career resources available within the Orfalea College of Business and across campus
Peer Mentors are extensively trained in the following:
- Structuring an effective mentoring relationship, including: establishing mentorship expectations, creating an inclusive environment, abiding by agreed upon mentoring relationship boundaries
- Recognizing sensitive situations and helping students identify resources and support systems
- Assisting students in developing an individualized academic plan of action to hold them accountable to achieve their goals
- Developing strategies for supporting unique student populations and empowering students through goal setting and value based techniques
- Implementing effective questioning, communication styles, counseling skills, and motivational interviewing techniques
If you are interested in becoming a Peer Mentor, we hire every Winter Quarter. More information to come.