PRIOR TO INQUIRING: MAJOR RESEARCH
Students are expected to research their options and make a well-informed decision. Please use the following avenues to research your intended major:
- Attend a university-wide Change of Major Workshop, CLICK HERE for schedule
- Meet with an advisor in the Mustang Success Center, CLICK HERE to access website
- Meet with an academic advisor in your current major/college, CLICK HERE for advising centers
- Research careers and industries with Career Services’ career exploration online tools: CLICK HERE to access tools
- Peer Advisors at Orfalea Student Services are available to answer any questions about the Change of Major process. Please do not schedule an appointment with one of our professional advisors unless advised to do so by the OCOB Change of Major Team. Questions can be directed to email@example.com.
STEP 1: REVIEW ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
The following criteria will be evaluated by our department to determine eligibility:
- Eligibility Upon Admission to Cal Poly:
- Must have been eligible for admission into BUS or ECON majors when CSU Application to Cal Poly was submitted.
- Because we evaluate students’ high school academic records to determine eligibility, transfer students are ineligible to switch into the Orfalea College of Business.
- Cal Poly Selection Criteria
- Academic Record at Cal Poly:
- Students must have a Cal Poly SLO Cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher.
- GPA requirements will be re-evaluated each academic year and are subject to change at the end of Spring Quarter.
- Eligible students must meet the GPA requirement in place during the academic year they set up their Change of Major Agreement (ICMA). For example: If a student inquires and is eligible in the Spring, but does not set up their ICMA by the end of Spring Quarter, the student must re-inquire in the Fall and will be expected to meet any new GPA requirements established for that academic year.
- Ability to Complete Degree Requirements Within Expected Graduation Timeline:
- Students must be able to feasibly complete new degree coursework within a four-year time frame from their start date at Cal Poly.
**If you do not meet the above requirements in full, you may still submit an inquiry so that we can evaluate you on an individual basis.
**PLEASE NOTE THAT COMPLETING COURSES IN YOUR MAJOR OF INTEREST, EVEN WHEN RECEIVING HIGH GRADES, DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOUR ELIGIBILITY TO SWITCH INTO BUS OR ECON AND CAN SET YOU BACK IN DEGREE PROGRESS. ** Students are not evaluated on whether or not they have completed BUS or ECON curriculum courses at the time of their inquiry.
STEP 2: COMPLETE INQUIRY FORM IN PORTAL
Reminder – Students must have completed one full quarter (12 units) at Cal Poly before submitting an inquiry form to change their major.
- Complete the COM Inquiry Form through your Cal Poly Portal.
- Log onto your Cal Poly Portal
- Click on the ACADEMICS tab
- Click on the “Change of Major” link on the bottom right of the page
Note: Change of Major Portlet will be closed to new inquiries during Winter break, beginning Friday, December 3, 2021, at 5:00 p.m. and will re-open for inquiry form submissions on January 3, 2021.
STEP 3: DECISION
Once you submit your inquiry, you will receive an email response from the department within 10 business days indicating whether you are eligible or ineligible.
- If you meet eligibility requirements, you will be invited via email to attend a mandatory Change of Major Pre-Appointment Seminar to begin the process.
- If you are ineligible, you will receive an email response informing you of your ineligibility. Ineligibility is based on any of the required criteria outlined above. The email will specify which criteria you did not meet.
- If you are still interested in pursuing BUS or ECON coursework, we encourage you to explore our minors. Please review minor requirements before pursuing.
- To explore career options that you can pursue without a BUS or ECON specific degree, set up an appointment with Cal Poly Career Services.
- Career Services Career Exploration Online tools: CLICK HERE to access tools