The Orfalea College of Business wants to maximize the likelihood of student success. We require convincing evidence from our change of major applicants that they will thrive in our curriculum. The application process is a fair process by which available spaces are filled by the most qualified students.
- Review Cal Poly’s General Change of Major Policy in full.
- Transfers are NOT eligible to change majors into the Orfalea College of Business. If you are a Transfer Student or if you are NOT eligible to change your major, CLICK HERE to view available options.
- Students must complete at least one quarter at Cal Poly before being eligible to enter into an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA).
- Students who enter into a change of major agreement and do not complete the agreement’s requirements, either by failing to complete the terms or by opting out due to a change of plan or interest, will not be eligible to request the same major in their career at Cal Poly.
- Students must be able to graduate within 4 years of a realistic quarter-by-quarter graduation plan may be required to demonstrate whether this is feasible.
Step 1: Research
Students are expected to research their options and make a well-informed decision. The following is a sample list of research opportunities.
- Attend a Change of Major Workshop, CLICK HERE for schedule
- Meet with an academic advisor in your current major/college, CLICK HERE for advising centers
- Meet with an advisor in the Mustang Success Center, CLICK HERE to access website
- Career Services Career Exploration Online tools: CLICK HERE to access tools
Step 2: Complete Inquiry Form in Portal
- Complete the COM Inquiry Form through your Cal Poly Portal.
- The form can be found by searching “Change of Major” on your portal’s search bar
- Factors that departments may consider to determine eligibility:
- Students must complete at least one quarter at Cal Poly before changing their major.
- The following criteria may be considered:
- Change of Major eligibility – the majors for which the student was eligible at time of admission
- College academic record (e.g., GPA, coursework, etc.), and
- Remaining coursework and the student’s ability to complete degree requirements in the new major within the published unit maximum requirements for the major
- You will receive an email response from the department within 10 business days.
Step 3: Decision
- If you meet eligibility requirements, you will be invited via e-mail to attend a mandatory Change of Major Pre-Appointment Seminar to begin the process.
- If you are not eligible, you will receive an e-mail response informing you of ineligibility.
**Please note, completing courses, even when receiving high grades, within your department of interest does not guarantee you eligibility to switch into your intended major.**