The purpose of a resume is to market yourself to employers by concisely summarizing your education, experience, and transferable skills. You should view your resume as a marketing and personal branding tool, used to convince an employer as to why you are the best person for the job. The most effective resumes are not generic, but use the job description to guide their content along with your own personal achievements and contributions.
The links below will provide assistance, tips, tricks, and guidelines for different aspects of your resume.
- Basic Format (ex: HERE)
- How to Phrase Action Statements & Bullets (ex: HERE)
- Action Verbs & Adjectives (ex: HERE)
Resumes & Cover Letter Examples
The Orfalea College of Business Career Readiness Office works closely with Career Services to provide the best career support for our students. The following links will direct you to Cal Poly College of Business Specific Resume & Cover Letter Resources.
- Career Services Resume Guides & Resources (Concentration-Specific Examples)
- Career Services Cover Letter Guide & FAQ
- BigInterview “Cover Letter Examples That Will Get You Noticed” article
One-on-One Resume Review Resources
It’s important to have your resume reviewed before submitting an application or attending a Career Fair or Networking Session. Make sure to utilize the resources you have on campus for resume review and feedback!
OCOB Career Readiness Advisor
Email email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
Career Counselor – OCOB College Specialist
Mondays from 10 – 11:30 a.m.
Located in Career Readiness Office, 03-300D
Weekdays 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
To make an appointment call (805) 756-2501, ext. 1 or schedule through Handshake
Please note that drop-in is not offered during finals, breaks, or summer quarter.
Monday – Thursday
1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Career Services, Bldg. 124, Room 224 (upstairs)
Wednesdays (Weeks 1 – 7)
4:10 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Mustang Success Center, Bldg. 52, Room D-37
Career Services Resume Workshops
Check the calendar for dates and times: http://careerservices.calpoly.edu/content/student/career-fairs-and-events
Orfalea College of Business Projects
If you have completed a comprehensive class project that you feel comfortable talking about in an interview, consider including them on your resume to showcase specific skills, knowledge, and accomplishments. In the past, the following OCOB courses have required comprehensive projects that can be showcased on a resume:
- BUS 431- Security Analysis and Portfolio Management (w/ Professor Gorman)
- IT 407- Applied Business Operations
- BUS 416- Low Income Tax Clinic (LITC)
- BUS 463- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
- BUS 454- Marketing Projects
- IT 428- Commercialization of New Technologies