Beginning Fall 2017, all first year students will be blocked into at least one major class for each quarter of their first year. For details on university wide first year block scheduling, visit https://registrar.calpoly.edu/first-year-cal-poly
Some reasons why you may be block scheduled into a course:
- The course is best taken during your first year.
- The courses may be difficult to get during your first year if you are not blocked into it.
- There is sufficient capacity to enroll you in a designated course.
Some reasons why you may NOT be block scheduled into a course:
- There are no major or support courses that MUST be taken during your first year.
- Your department would like to provide flexibility for you to choose when to take your major and support courses.
- Seats in some major courses may be reserved for students in that major, to assist with registration.
- You may have already fulfilled the course that students will be blocked into.
- There is not sufficient capacity to enroll you in a designated course.
Courses considered for block scheduling differ by major. See below for a list of courses students in their first-year may be blocked into. Note that although efforts will be made to block students in the courses listed below, they are not guaranteed during any given quarter. While all students in majors participating in block scheduling will be run through the process for developing a block schedule, some students may not receive a block schedule or only receive a partial block schedule.
|Business Administration||Economics||Industrial Technology & Packaging|
Winter block scheduling will begin on Oct. 23rd when PASS opens. Changes may continue to be made to a student’s schedule, and will be finalized by Nov. 2nd.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- I have been block scheduled into one or two classes. What should I do now?
- It is recommended that you enroll in 12-16 units each quarter, so you will need to add additional classes to your schedule to meet these unit recommendations. In order to be a full-time student you will need to be enrolled in at least 12 units, and to stay on track for graduation students average 16 units per quarter. You will register for additional classes during your scheduled round one registration appointment. This date can be found in your Student Center on the same day that Plan a Student Schedule (PASS) is available.
- Will I still be able to get classes if I’m not block scheduled?
- Yes, many departments in the Orfalea College of Business reserve seats in courses for majors within our college during registration appointments. Also, as a first-year student, you will have more GE, major and support courses to choose from to create a full schedule.
- How do I add additional classes? When can I add more classes?
- You can find demonstrations on how to register for classes here: https://advising.calpoly.edu/registration-tools-and-resources
- Plan to attend one of our PASS Registration Workshop on Wednesday, October 25th at 6PM in Tenaya Hall.
- Find your scheduled registration date in your Student Center on when PASS opens on October 23rd.
- Can I change my block schedule?
- It is not recommended that you drop any classes from your block schedule. Trust the block.
- You were blocked into a course because it will set you up
- If you are planning to change your major, you feel you already have credit for that course, or have another reason for not taking that course, please contact Orfalea Student Services to speak with an advisor before you make any adjustments to your block schedule.
- My block schedule has classes that are not on my flowchart for the first year. Is that okay?
- Yes, that is okay. Your flowchart is a suggested guide to follow, so you may not need to take courses in that exact order.
- Your department may have chosen to block you into a course earlier than your flowchart because that course can be difficult to get.
- The class(es) I have been blocked into conflict with my personal schedule. What should I do?
- All attempts will be made to avoid known Cal Poly athletic schedules.
- You will be able to make necessary changes to your schedule during your first-round registration as noted in your Student Center. If you are blocked into any major courses, we recommend you talk with an advisor prior to making changes.
- Note that if you drop a course, there is no guarantee you would be able to get into another specific course. We recommend using the SWAP feature, “Swap, Not Drop.”
- If you have job or other conflicts with your block schedule, Orfalea Student Services can help you develop an alternative schedule.
- What should I put in my PolyPlanner?
- Once you complete registration, adjust your PolyPlan to reflect the courses you were blocked into and any additional courses you added to your schedule. Then plan the following two quarters with courses from your flowchart.
- Your PolyPlan should always be updated each quarter to reflect your actual course enrollment for that quarter and your plans for subsequent quarters.
- Read more about PolyPlanner requirements and deadlines at https://registrar.calpoly.edu/PolyPlanner
If you have any other questions or concerns about your block schedule or registration, please contact Orfalea Student Services.
- Phone: 805-756-6200
- Location: Bldg 03, Room 100
- Email: email@example.com