What is a Block Schedule?
The Office of the Registrar schedules first year students in degree applicable courses across the entirety of their first year. This initiative ensures all freshmen receive a full-time schedule in Fall Quarter 2018 and a part-time schedule in Winter & Spring Quarter 2019. Courses that are included in block schedules are classes chosen by the student’s major department. Block schedules are comprised of:
- Major: classes required for your major
- Support: classes meant to support the material that you learn for your major.
- General education (GE): classes help students reach across disciplines to provide them with a breadth of experiences.
OCOB Block Schedule – Winter & Spring 2019:
All first-year students within the Orfalea College of Business will be blocked into 8-9 units for Winter & Spring Quarter 2019. The 8 units you will be block enrolled into include major and support courses only.
For details on university wide first year block scheduling, visit https://registrar.calpoly.edu/first-year-cal-poly
Some reasons why you may be block scheduled into a course:
- The course is best taken during your first year.
- The courses may be difficult to get during your first year if you are not blocked into it.
- There is sufficient capacity to enroll you in a designated course.
Some reasons why you may NOT be block scheduled into a course:
- There are no major or support courses that MUST be taken during your first year.
- Your department would like to provide flexibility for you to choose when to take your major and support courses.
- Seats in some major courses may be reserved for students in that major, to assist with registration.
- You may have already fulfilled the course that students will be blocked into.
- There is not sufficient capacity to enroll you in a designated course.
Courses considered for block scheduling differ by major. See below for a list of courses students in their first-year may be blocked into. Note that although efforts will be made to block students in the courses listed below, they are not guaranteed during any given quarter.
|Business Administration||Economics||Industrial Technology & Packaging|
Winter Quarter 2019 block scheduling will begin on Oct. 24th.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- I have been block scheduled into two courses. What should I do now?
- It is recommended that you enroll in 12-16 units each quarter, so you will need to add additional classes to your schedule to meet these unit recommendations. In order to be a full-time student, you will need to be enrolled in at least 12 units. To stay on track for graduation, students average 16 units per quarter. You will register for additional classes during your scheduled first round registration appointment. This date can be found in your Student Center on the same day that Plan a Student Schedule (PASS) is available (Oct. 24th).
- Will I still be able to get classes if I’m not block scheduled?
- Yes, many departments in the Orfalea College of Business reserve seats in courses for majors within our college during registration appointments. Also, as a first-year student, you will have more GE, major, and support courses to choose from to create a full schedule.
- How do I add additional classes? When can I add more classes?
- You can find demonstrations on how to register for classes here: View Demonstrations
- Get support in BUS 100 on course selection, registration, and advising tools. For additional support, seek support from your BUS 100 Instructor during their Fall 2018 office hours.
- Plan to attend the OCOB Registration Workshop on Oct. 30th at 6:10 pm in Yosemite Hall.
- Find your scheduled registration date in your Student Center on when PASS opens on October 24th.
- Seek academic advising from Orfalea Student Services.
- Can I change my block schedule?
- It is not recommended that you drop any classes from your block schedule. Trust the block.
- You were blocked into a course because it will set you up for early degree progress within your major.
- If you are planning to change your major, you feel you already have credit for that course, or have another reason for not taking that course, please contact Orfalea Student Services to speak with an advisor before you make any adjustments to your block schedule.
- My block schedule has classes that are not on my flowchart for the first year. Is that okay?
- Yes. Your flowchart is a suggested guide to follow. You do not need to take courses in the exact order outlined on your flowchart.
- Your department may have chosen to block you into a course earlier than your flowchart because that course can be difficult to get.
- The class(es) I have been blocked into conflict with my personal schedule. What should I do?
- All attempts will be made to avoid known Cal Poly athletic schedules.
- You will be able to make necessary changes to your schedule during your first round registration appointment as noted in your Student Center. If you are blocked into any major courses, we recommend you talk with an advisor prior to making changes.
- Note that if you drop a course, there is no guarantee you would be able to get into another specific course. We recommend using the SWAP feature, “Swap, Not Drop.”
- If you have a job or other conflicts with your block schedule, Orfalea Student Services can help you develop an alternative schedule.
- What should I put in my PolyPlanner?
- Once you complete registration, adjust your PolyPlan to reflect the courses you were blocked into and any additional courses you added to your schedule. Then plan the following two quarters with courses from your flowchart or from your BUS 100 4 Year Plan.
- Your PolyPlan should always be updated each quarter to reflect your actual course enrollment for that quarter and your plans for subsequent quarters.
- Read more about PolyPlanner requirements and deadlines at PolyPlanner
If you have any other questions or concerns about your block schedule or registration, please contact Orfalea Student Services.
- Phone: 805-756-6200
- Location: Bldg 03, Room 100
- Email: email@example.com
|WINTER 2019 REGISTRATION APPOINTMENT CATEGORIES||1ST ROUND (16 UNITS) START DATES||2ND ROUND (22 UNITS) START DATES|
|Special Exception and New Undergraduate Students||November 6||November 30|
|Graduate Students||November 7||November 30|
|Academic Progress Level IV (75.1% – 100%)||November 8-9||December 3|
|Academic Progress Level III (45.1% – 75%)||November 13-14||December 4|
|Academic Progress Level II (20.1% – 45%)||November 15-16||December 5|
|Academic Progress Level I (0% – 20%)||November 26-28||December 6|
|PolyPlanner Non-Compliant||November 29||December 7|
- See your Student Center for specific day and time of registration appointment
- First round Registration Appointments continue through November 29, 2018
- Open Enrollment for All Students (Continuing and New) December 8, 2018 – January 4, 2019
- Refer to your PolyProfile on your Cal Poly Portal for your Academic Progress Gauge.