Cal Poly senior Katie Exum is used to defying expectations. The 6-foot-1 Torrance, Calif.-native came to Cal Poly in 2012, where she quickly emerged as a standout in the Industrial Technology and Packaging Area. Just as she prepares to graduate this December, she has secured a packaging engineer position at one of the highest-paying employers in Silicon Valley—Amazon Lab126, which designs and engineers consumer electronics, such as Fire tablets, Kindle e-book readers and Amazon Echo.
As Exum approaches the start of her career, she reflects on the moment that changed her direction at Cal Poly.
Read the full article on the Packaging Digest website.
Jay Singh Joins Packaging Digest’s Editorial Advisory Board
Jay Singh, professor and director of Cal Poly’s Packaging Program in the Orfalea College of Business, has joined industry professionals from Coca-Cola, ConAgra, and Campbell Soup Co. on the Packaging Digest Editorial Advisory Board. The advisory board will guide the publication as it explores packaging industry news, research and innovations.
“This is a tremendous brain-trust of packaging leaders with cumulative decades of experience,” said Packaging Digest Executive Editor Lisa McTigue Pierce. “We appreciate their commitment to serve and will tap them for general ideas, as well as input on specific topics.” She anticipates the group will contribute background consultations as well as networking assistance for investigative stories.
Singh lends the advisory board an extensive background in academic research and professional consulting related to package design and implementation. The other members of Packaging Digest’s Editorial Advisory Board include:
- Scott Biondich, group director of sparkling, packaging & IC equipment development at Coca-Cola North America
- Jane Chase, senior director of packaging engineering at Schwan’s Shared Services LLC and The Schwan Food Co.
- David France, packaging research fellow at ConAgra Foods Packaging R&I
- Nina Goodrich, executive director of Sustainable Packaging Coalition/Greenblue
- Mary Gregg, director of packaging at Campbell North America and Campbell Soup Co.
- David Luttenberger, CPP, global packaging director at Mintel Group Ltd.
- Joe Mase, vice president of marketing & business development at Sagent Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Eva Peters, global head of packaging development & industrial design at Novartis Consumer Health
Packaging Digest aims to help professionals understand and advance the packaging process and provides informative articles and solutions to achieving the highest levels of efficiency and profitability. For more information on Packaging Digest, visit http://www.packagingdigest.com/.