Are you unable to pay the IRS your back tax liabilities, are the fees continuing to increase due to accrued interest? We may be able to help. You may be eligible for CNC (Currently not Collectible) status and also qualify for an Offer in Compromise…

You have the right to represent yourself or have someone represent you before the IRS in connection with a federal tax matter. In order for the Cal Poly LITC to represent you, you must submit a power of attorney with the IRS office. Your signature on Form 2848 allows the individual or individuals named to represent you before the IRS and to receive your tax information for the matter(s) and tax year(s)/period(s) specified.

Link to Form: English   Spanish

The IRS can grant you, the taxpayer, Currently Not Collectible (CNC) Status if you are found to be suffering from economic difficulty and unable to pay your back tax debt. You must provide information regarding your monthly income and expenses including items such as rent, mortgage, food and clothing, health insurance, car payments, auto maintenance, utilities, etc.

The process to receive CNC status is complicated and you will need to fill out the Collection Information Statement for Wage Earners and Self-Employed Individuals or Form 433-A, which is used by the IRS to determine your Reasonable Collection Potential on your tax debts. The Cal Poly LITC can help file the paperwork necessary to prove to the IRS your current economic status and help get you in CNC status.

Link to Form: English   Spanish


An Offer in Compromise (OIC) allows you, the taxpayer, to settle your tax debt with the IRS for less than the full amount owed. Before you can be considered, you must make sure you are current with all filing and payment requirements with the IRS.

If you are found to be eligible for CNC status, the next step would be to work towards an Offer in Compromise with the IRS to help settle your debt. The Cal Poly LITC can help you fill out and draft the necessary documents for an Offer in Compromise with the IRS.

Link to Form English

The IRS web page contains valuable information and resources for taxpayers such as downloadable forms and instructions.

Link to website

The Cal Poly Orfalea College of Business has been preparing tax returns through the VITA program since 1992. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA), offers free tax preparation help to people whose gross income is $54,000 or less. Certain requirements need to be met in order to be eligible for help. The program runs every Saturday morning in the third floor of the Cal Poly College of Business the months of February through March only.

Link to website

AARP Tax-Aide volunteers help taxpayers by preparing federal and state income tax returns. Filing is always free and is available to almost all taxpayers at 15 locations in San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties. Sites in Santa Maria and Paso Robles are open year round. There are no age restrictions and you do not need to be an AARP member to receive help. Special attention is given to seniors and low and moderate income taxpayers. Taxpayers with rental property and some small business owners are advised to see a paid preparer.

Link to website

The Franchise Tax Board (FTB) is a great resource for help with state income tax issues, just as the IRS website helps with federal income tax issues.

Link to website