The Cal Poly Orfalea College of Business has been preparing tax returns through the Volunteer Tax Assistance (VITA) program since 1992. The program is sponsored by the California Franchise Tax Board, the Internal Revenue Service, and the Cal Poly Accounting Department.
All tax returns are prepared by Cal Poly accounting students who have gone through extensive training and have passed the IRS and FTB volunteer exams. The returns are then reviewed by local certified tax professionals. Clinics will be held at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, in Grover Beach, and at Allan Hancock College in Santa Maria. See location information below for address and hours of operations.
Please review the requirements below to see if you qualify for this FREE program.
The 2015 VITA program offers free tax preparation help on Saturdays, from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., January 31, 2015 through March 14, 2015. After March 14, the sessions end and volunteers will not be available to answer further questions. Should questions arise we recommend that all tax inquiries be directed first to the IRS and then a local enrolled agent or CPA. We do not retain copies of your tax returns, there for please be sure to keep copies for your records.
No appointment is necessary, and for more information call 805-756-2667.
- Listen to an audio presentation (Spanish audio) about VITA.
- Download a transcript (Spanish transcript) of the audio presentation.
VITA offers free tax help to people whose gross income is $53,000 or less. The following requirements are subject to change for the 2014 tax return year, but can be a helpful guide determining eligibility.
If one of the following is part of this year’s tax return, we will be unable to provide you with assistance:
- More than five (5) capital gains transactions (i.e. stock sales)
- Have rental income
- Have income from a partnership or trust
- Depreciation related to business income
- We DO NOT do returns for taxpayers “Married Filing Separate”
Tax Payers meeting program requirements must bring the following where applicable:
- Photo ID (ex: Driver License)
- Social Security number and Birth Dates for you, your spouse and dependents (if you do not have a social security card, please bring your ITIN #s or we can obtain one for you if you have not applied for one in prior years)
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (All Form 1099’s)
- Date acquired, cost, date sold, and selling price for stock sales
- For Day Care: Provider’s Identifying #, Phone #, and amount paid for care
- For Renters: Name, Address, and Phone # of landlord
- Bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit (encouraged)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Health insurance coverage information
- All other current Tax docs/forms including relevant income/expense information
It is extremely important that each person use the correct Social Security number. In addition, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms to electronically file a joint return.
If you do not qualify, please consult the IRS or a local enrolled agent or CPA.
The VITA Site is located on the 3rd floor of the Orfalea College of Business (building No. 3) at Cal Poly near California Boulevard.
In order to process as many clients as possible, please make sure you qualify for the program and arrive with the materials listed under requirements.
Take the California Blvd. entrance into Cal Poly and follow the signs.
Alternatively, Take Santa Rosa Street toward Cal Poly. Take Right on Highland and Right on California.
Take Grand Ave. Cal Poly Exit bear right on to N. Perimeter. Take Left on to California.
For more maps of the Cal Poly campus, click here.
There will be free parking!
Cal Poly students will also staff additional VITA clinics throughout the Central Coast in partnership with the United Way of San Luis Obispo County and the United Way of Northern Santa Barbara County. They include:
- Grover Beach: Business & Career OneStop of Five Cities 1800 East Grand Ave. (Open Saturdays from Jan. 31-April 4)
- Santa Maria: Allan Hancock College’s Community Education Center 800 S. College Dr., Building S (Open Saturdays from Jan. 31-April 4; closed Feb. 15 and 22)
- The Grover Beach and Santa Maria clinics offer appointments through local United Way chapters. Call 805-922-0329, ext. 103, to make an appointment.