The Orfalea College of Business wants to maximize the likelihood of student success. We require convincing evidence from our change of major applicants that they will thrive in our curriculum. The application process is a fair process by which available spaces are filled by the most qualified students.
Freshmen MUST have COMPLETED 12 units at Cal Poly before inquiring about eligibility. Your inquiry will be disregarded if you have not met this requirement.
Transfers are NOT eligible to change majors into the Orfalea College of Business.
- Students must complete at least one quarter at Cal Poly before changing their major.
- The following criteria may be considered:
- Change of Major eligibility – the majors for which the student was eligible at time of admission
- College academic record (e.g., GPA, coursework, etc.), and
- Remaining coursework and the student’s ability to complete degree requirements in the new major within the published unit maximum requirements for the major
If you are a Transfer Student or if you are NOT eligible to change your major, CLICK HERE to view available options.
Change of Major Steps
- Inquire by completing the online inquiry form below
- If you meet eligibility requirements, you will be invited via e-mail to attend a mandatory Change of Major Pre-Appointment Seminar to begin the process
- If you are not eligible, you will receive an e-mail response informing you of ineligibility
Please note: We manually evaluate each individual inquiry thoroughly. Due to the high number of inquiries we receive, please allow at least two weeks for a response.