Click here to view the pre-approved study abroad list.
Steps to Study Abroad
Where do you want to go?
- The International Education Program (IEP-study abroad) Office provides an overall picture of possible countries. They have many resources for you to use both online and in the office. IEP Office: Bldg 38, Rm. 145. PH: 756-1477.
When are you going?
- We recommend students plan their trips abroad for Summer or Fall to ensure staying on track at Cal Poly.
- If you are interested in studying abroad for a full year you may not be able to find enough classes to substitute and it could extend your graduation date at Cal Poly.
What are you taking?
- Most students take three to four courses while abroad.
- Cal Poly doesn’t have a minimum number of units required when abroad, but study abroad schools/programs may have a minimum requirement.
- If you do not see a class on the Pre-Approved List, you will need to make an appointment with a Study Abroad Peer Advisor to fill out a course substitution form (see more information below).
Finance your trip
- The International Education Program (IEP-study abroad) Office website explains many financing options.
- You can find a brochure on financing your Study Abroad trip here.
If there is a course you would like to take that is not on the pre-approved list above, you will need to submit a course substitution petition.
- We recommend starting the course substitution process immediately after you decide on a program. The process can take over one month and should be completed prior to departure.
- If you have questions about which classes to take abroad or which classes will substitute please make an appointment with a Study Abroad Peer Advisor at the Advising Center.
- When you have decided on your courses, print a copy of the course description for each course, then:
If you would like credit for a Major, Support or Concentration Course at Cal Poly, bring the course description to the Advising Center (Bldg.3, Rm.100) and fill out the Petition for Course Substitution Form. If you would like GE credit, bring the course description to the IEP Office (Bldg.38, Rm. 145) and fill out a GE Substitution Petition for Study Abroad Form.
Don’t Forget to get a Passport and a Visa
If you have more questions, make an appointment to meet with a Study Abroad Peer Advisor.
Orfalea College of Business Advising Center
Tel: (805) 756-2601