Marketing prepares you for a variety of career paths including:
- Digital Marketing
- Market Research
- New Product Development
- Non Profit
- Product Management
- Client Management
- Public Relations
Hear from recent Cal Poly Marketing grads about their career paths and how their education prepared them for jobs in the field.
Graduating in 2006, Richard was a part of the first group of students to experience the new marketing program. After graduation, he interned with The Walt Disney Company. Then, he found the perfect fit-- a position with Nissan that supported product development and design. At Nissan, Richard employed research techniques covered in the marketing curriculum to spot new opportunity spaces: secondary research, ethnographies, focus groups, and surveys. From Nissan, Richard moved to Yakult USA & then to Lieberman Research Worldwide. Watch the video for advice from Richard.
Julianne graduated from Cal Poly in 2010. She is a Customer Marketing Manager for Workday, a cloud-based enterprise software start-up that recently filed for an initial public offering (IPO). Julianne connected with Workday recruiters at the Spring 2009 Career Fair and actively followed through with the people she met. Her effort paid off and she interned with Workday during the summer of 2009. That internship led to a career opportunity with Workday after graduation. Julianne has advanced rapidly with a fast-growing company. Watch the video for advice from Julianne.
Matt graduated in 2004 and started with Google as an AdWords coordinator. Matt has had a great ride with Google, where he is currently a manager, large customer sales. That means he is responsible for customer relationship building; sales coaching, sales target setting, performance management; and career coaching. Watch the video for advice from Matt.
What else can Marketing students do to ensure success after graduation?
- Learn more about marketing related careers. Join the Cal Poly Marketing Community site.
- Become a part of Cal Poly’s AMA, where you’ll meet marketing professionals representing a variety of positions and industries.
- Talk with your Marketing Advisor about career goals.
- Find a mentor through the Orfalea College Executive Partners Program.
- Develop a LinkedIn profile and join the LinkedIn Cal Poly
Marketing Alumni group.
- Find an internship that builds your portfolio of career-related experiences.
- Check out these links to career resources.
- Browse MustangJOBS for opportunities.